When the email for this "secret gig" popped into my Inbox, I worried it was a scam. I still bought them, because I'm a comedy mug. I ended up buying four tickets, as Bob's wife and daughter also wanted to see him (my wife didn't).
Then, on the night, I feared I'd cocked up the date, as a notice board next to the bar listed Daniel Sloss as appearing on Wednesday, with Robin Grainger down for Thursday. My fears were assuaged, however, by the billboard above the doors to the basement.
Daniel explained on stage that he'd had two months off, and was due to perform in Boston next month, so he felt he'd better sharpen up his material before he flew out. The only problem was he couldn't remember which jokes he'd cut from the set and put online, so he decided to start afresh. Such was the context of tonight's WIP.
The core of the show revolves around him admitting he is addicted to weed, the MOST NON-ADDICTIVE DRUG THERE IS. He's done all the others with no problem, but with weed, he could lose six weeks chain-smoking from day to night. Not in a stoner kind of way. As a compulsion, hiding and lying and going behind his wife's back.
This thread worked well as he explained the journey he'd taken and why he hated himself for it. I enjoyed seeing the craft, with him telling a story, getting a moderate laugh and deciding he'd never tell that one again. Or decide he'd run over the punchline and next time would end the joke earlier on the bigger laugh. Normally, he appears super-in-control, a word-perfect comic on his tour shows. This was a nice reminder that what appears effortless takes a lot of work.
Well worth a tenner plus booking fee.
Secret show Ticket Price: £10 plus £1 Booking Fee per ticket


No comments:
Post a Comment