Velvet Rush were first on. I heard their soundcheck from the barrier and was alarmed by how Sandra's vocals were being drowned out by the band. I could hear her, but she sounded unamplified. The festival had been plagued with sound issues over the weekend, especially during the opening songs. I hoped they sorted out the problem quickly when they were playing for real, as it were.
I needn't have worried. Sandra's vocals were powerful and crystal clear. The band were tight, and I adored the music. Big thumbs up.
It nearly never happened, though. British Airways mislaid their equipment. Fortunately, The Almighty stepped in to loan them theirs. This also meant they had no merch to sell either; otherwise, I'd have been tempted to queue for the meet-and-greet. They did promise a UK tour next year, so hopefully they'll come to Scotland.
Queen Horizon did nothing for me, so I headed back to the Inferno stage for Tuk Smith & The Restless Hearts. They are a fun American rock band. I quickly warmed to Tuk's humour, promising they did not rip off Thin Lizzy for their song East Side of Town. The band intros brought a laugh too, introducing the guitarist as Keith Richards, the bassist as Ray Davies and the drummer as the bastard son of Freddie Mercury. I'd catch them again in Glasgow if the venue they're playing wasn't the Classic Grand - awful sound in there.
I lasted a couple of bars of Square Wild before bailing to check out the VIP acoustic set of Parker Barrow. They started off great, but I quickly tired of their sound and found a bench to sit on.
Heavy Pettin were big in Scotland in the 80's, until they split, the lead singer moving to the States. They recently reformed, but, again, I found their music didn't grab me. It seemed painfully retro. The singer's "Sheena Easton" Scottish accent sounded so weird when he spoke between numbers.
Silveroller were a revelation. Invoking an early 70's vibe, they powered their way through their high-energy set, winning over the crowd with their songs. They made a big deal of allowing us to be their witnesses as they signed their record deal on stage. The singer reminded me of Rod Stewart back when he was good, but Bob couldn't unsee him as Robin Askwith of the Confessions... series. A band to look out for.
I skipped Hannah Wicklund, waiting at the barrier for my faves, Anchor Lane. Hannah's music took a prog turn when someone pulled out a flute, but she won me back with a cover of Janis Joplin's Take Another Little Piece of My Heart. She lost me again when she overran, with both Anchor Lane and the Firestarter stage announcer annoyed at the delay.
Anchor Lane smashed it. The majority of the crowd had never heard of them before, but were mightily impressed by the end. I was even bouncing about, thoroughly enjoying myself. It's a shame I can't make their date at King Tut's this year as it clashes with Bloody Scotland. AL were my highlight of the weekend.
I was disappointed not to be offered a setlist by the band, having stood at the barrier the longest. Conor gave his to a lady on my far right. Lawrence gave his to a lady on my left. I still got a picture of it, though.
The rest of the day didn't excite me much. I've never been much aware of the Wildhearts. Ginger's terminal cancer diagnosis and choice not to have treatment brought out a massive crowd, there to pay tribute to his services to rock music.
Aethoria didn't appeal, nor did The Almighty, even though I'm a fan of Ricky Warwick. Their music was a bit samey for my liking. Chez Kane, headlining her first festival on the Firestarter stage, felt like stepping back in time. Moulding herself on the likes of Pat Benatar and Lee Aaron, her original music is heavily influenced by the 80's sound, with suggestive dance moves and a skimpy costume. Her voice is incredible. Shame there were a few sound issues. I couldn't help but notice a familiar face in the shape of the guitarist from Tyketto. Apparently, Chez Kane is his regular gig. He and the other guitarist enjoyed themselves with their coordinated high kicks. A fun way to finish the day.
Except there was still Uriah Heep. I'd seen them twice recently, so we listened to the first couple of songs before deciding to return to the hotel, aware we had an early departure the next day. With Scott unwell, Bob would have to do all the driving himself. He wasn't looking forward to that.
The Sunday gave me pause to rethink whether I would return. The heat and the smokers had annoyed me, but at its heart, the festival had achieved what it set out to do: present s bands you already love and allow you to discover new faves. Still, I elected not to buy Early Bird tickets and wait for the lineup announcements first.
I may be back.
![]() |
| Velvet Rush |
![]() |
| Tuk Smith & The Restless Hearts |
![]() |
| Parker Barrow (acoustic) |
![]() |
| Silverolller |
![]() |
| Hannah Wicklund (full zoom) |
![]() |
| Anchor Lane |
![]() |
| The Wildhearts |
![]() |
| Aethoria |
![]() |
| The Almighty |
![]() |
| Chez Kane |
![]() |
| Uriah Heep |
What I liked about the festival:
The location of the VIP area;
the larger, more accessible set up for the acoustic stage;
the ceaseless work of the staff tidying the site;
the Roundhouse - big plus, with food and soft drinks on offer, providing additional seating and shelter from the sun;
the organisation to get us all in, checking tickets and handing out wristbands early.
the fenced corridors creating a pathway away from each arena to stop seats clogging up exits.
What I disliked about the festival:
The lack of a signing area/ merch stand at the Firestarter stage;
the crowd chain-smoking cigarettes
the sound issues, glitching guitars and vocals;
the Thursday Gatecrasher in its current form. It could be tremendous with a change in format - perhaps a curry night before a short acoustic set;
how the seating area proliferated across routes between areas - keep them penned in better;
food prices for what you got.










.jpg)







.jpg)



.jpg)

.jpg)





















No comments:
Post a Comment