Friday, 17 July 2026

Maid of Stone Festival, Mote Park, Maidstone. Day 1. Friday 17th July, 2026.



Thursday night's Gatecrasher event allowed us to collect our festival wristbands early. The quiz was a bit of a letdown, marred by inaudible sound for those of us sitting in the Roadhouse tent. The picture quiz element sparked more debate around our table than anything else. While the inaugural event might not have been entirely successful, it was a strong foundation to build upon. Being able to order food was a plus (though I didn't). 

On Friday, the sun was baking hot. We waited on a park bench under the shade of a tree before the gates to the event opened, then headed in via the VIP lane. I had a quick explore before the first act, Cassidy Paris. The queue for drinks in the VIP area was exacerbated by the fact that the lines weren't set up yet. They couldn't start serving until this was done. They kept saying five minutes, but that stretched to twenty-five, so I missed the start of Cassidy Paris. 

Planet Rock breakfast show DJ, Paul Anthony, was our host for the weekend on the Inferno stage.


I didn't warm to Cassidy at all, nor Regional One. By the time Anthony Gomes came on, I had found a bench in the VIP area to sit. Anthony sounded great. I paid a visit to Devere, had a brief listen and returned to VIP. I enjoyed The New Roses, a fine German rock band. I started to feel exhausted due to the heat and lack of sleep. I purchased an early dinner from one of the food outlets: three chicken tenders with chips, £13. The experience felt like I'd been mugged by an Apprentice candidate on a fast food profit task. Minimal food for maximum cost. At least, it tasted fine. 

I struggled to find somewhere shaded to rest, so I chose to exit the venue to go sit in the park. The park benches weren't shaded either, so I headed back to the hotel during FM's set. 

By the time I got back, my energy levels were painfully low, my eyes were stinging, and I just wanted to sleep. The room was boiling, despite the window being ajar and the fan blowing at full speed. I crashed out on the bed, waking up after a couple of hours, with just enough time to return to see The Temperance Movement. By now, the evening had cooled, but my lungs still burned on the long walk. 

The band was excellent. Singer Phil Campbell dances like a toddler, with endless energy and no inhibitions. He definitely holds your attention as the frontman. They closed the first day well.

The Temperance Movement setlist
Ain't No Telling
Built-In Forgetter
Caught In The Middle
Always Been Love (New song)
Magnify
Be Lucky
Smouldering
Take It Back
Silverlight Blues (New song)
Get Yourself Free
Pride
Only Friend
Eat You Alive

Encore:
Midnight Black 

The view of the queue from the shade

Inferno Stage

The early queue for pre-ordered merch

VIP area, looking onto the Inferno stage.

Cassidy Paris

Regional One

Anthony Gomes (via a long zoom)

Jack J Hutchinson

Devere

The New Roses

The Temperance Movement




Setlist


INFERNO STAGE


FIRESTARTER STAGE

VIP STAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment